Pepper Bellies are a easy but comforting dish. With solely 4 components, it comes collectively rapidly, making for a tremendous simple supper that may please any crowd.
Curried potatoes and pork chops, Oslo Kringle, and Pepper Bellies — these are all tastes and recollections of my childhood. My mother could have been feeding 5 children on a price range, however she did it in a enjoyable and engaging approach.
One in every of my favourite meals from that period was Pepper Bellies. I don’t know why they have been referred to as that; there are not any peppers in sight, particularly if you happen to lean towards delicate chili. However, that’s their identify, all the identical — regardless of what the web says they’re referred to as. 😉
What’s Pepper Bellies?
Pepper Bellies are made from corn chips, similar to Fritos, chili, and topped with cheese. You possibly can add extra toppings similar to bitter cream, salsa, chopped onions, and cilantro.
What are different names for Pepper Bellies?
Pepper bellies are what my mother referred to as this concoction of corn chips, chili, and cheese. The identical dish can also be referred to as Frito Pie, Strolling Taco, Chili Fritos, Straw Hats, and Taco Bowls, relying on the place you reside.
Based on Wikipedia, Pepper Stomach is a southern California factor. There you’ve it, my Minnesota-born mother was already selecting up the lingo!
How do you make a Pepper Stomach?
- Divide the corn chips into 4 bowls.
- Pour 1 half of cups chili over the chips in every bowl.
- Divide the cheese among the many 4 bowls, sprinkling over the chili.
- High with the inexperienced onions.
- Serve instantly.
For simplicity and no dishes to clean, some of us serve Pepper Bellies in the bag of corn chips. Again after I was rising up, we didn’t have single-serve luggage of Fritos, so this wasn’t a factor! lol
Easy methods to make this good and low cost:
By their very nature, bean dishes are very budget-friendly. Nonetheless, listed below are among the methods you may use to make this recipe much more economical:
- Refill on components when they’re on sale. Whenever you see a good value on tomato sauce, beans, or your favourite chili, purchase a few additional to stash for later. You understand you’ll use them. Likewise for corn chips, which may doubtlessly be the pricier ingredient on this dish.
- Cook dinner your individual beans. It’s a lot cheaper to prepare dinner dry beans than to purchase canned. Lately I’ve began utilizing my electrical strain cooker for beans and it’s a sport changer.
- Purchase spices in bulk. I commonly purchase bigger containers of spices I take advantage of steadily, like pepper, sea salt, garlic powder, and chili powder. I retailer extra dried herbs and floor spices within the freezer if I do know it is going to be awhile earlier than I’m going by means of the massive container. This makes it simple to make my very own chili.
What instruments do I must make this dish?
This recipe actually couldn’t be simpler than it’s, however having the best kitchen instruments can actually make your time within the kitchen extra satisfying. Over time, I’ve honed my assortment in order that they’re excellent for my wants.
Listed here are the instruments that I take advantage of for this recipe:
A Pepper Stomach is a easy but comforting dish. With solely 4 components, it comes collectively rapidly, making for a tremendous simple supper that may please any crowd.
Course: Major Course
Key phrase: frito pie, pepper bellies, pepper stomach, strolling taco
Energy: 766 kcal
- 2 cups corn chips similar to Fritos
- 6 cups of your favourite chili heated
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 2 inexperienced onions chopped
Divide the corn chips into 4 bowls.
Pour 1 half of cups chili over the chips in every bowl.
Divide the cheese among the many 4 bowls, sprinkling over the chili.
High with the inexperienced onions.
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 766 Energy from Fats 378
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 16g100%
Ldl cholesterol 91mg30%
Vitamin A 1572IU31%
Vitamin C 8mg10%
* % Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight-reduction plan.